There are over a dozen law enforcement agencies in the District of Columbia, each with its own specific jurisdiction and set of responsibilities. Here’s a look inside just a few:
- United States Capitol Police (USCP): The USCP provides securityto all congressional buildings and grounds while also serving to protect the members of Congress, the U.S. Senate, the House of Representatives, and their family members.
- DC Metropolitan Police Department (MPDC): The municipal police agency of the Nation’s Capital Washington, D.C., not to be confused with the United States Capitol Police. With 3,800 sworn officers, the MPDC is one of the top ten largest police departments in the United States.
- United States Mint Police: Founded in 1792, the US Mint Police is one of the oldest federal law enforcement agencies in the US. Their duties involve protecting over 2,800 US Mint employees across the country, as well as safe-guarding over $100 billion in gold, silver, and coins, as well as other government assets such as the U.S. Constitution.
- The National Zoological Park Police (NZPP): One of the oldest law enforcement agencies in DC, the NZPP consists of 50 full and part-time officers that have full-police powers. The NZPP works closely with the DC Metropolitan Police, the US Park Police, and of course the animals at the National Zoo.
- United States Secret Service: The Secret Service serves under the United States Department of Homeland Security. The sworn members of the Secret Service are divided among Special Agents and the Uniformed Division where their primary roles are to protect the president, vice president, and their families, as well as any distinguished foreign visitors.
- US Park Police: Serving as a unit under the Department of the Interior, the US Park Police regulate National Park service areas, including the National Mall.
- Metro Transit Police: This police agency provides security for the Metrorail and Metrobus system in the metropolitan areas of DC, Maryland, and Virginia. The Metro is a major means for transportation in the D.C. area.
- US Pentagon Police: Serving under the Department of Defense, the Pentagon Police Directorate supports the over-arching Pentagon Force Protection Agency (PFPA), and supports their mission. With the use of highly-trained officers, the Pentagon Police Directorate upholds this mission by maintaining effective partnerships with other federal, state and local public safety agencies
Other Agencies: Supreme Court Police, United States Marshalls, Bureau of Engraving and Printing Police, NIH Police and more!
To find out more about opportunities in law enforcement visit discoverpolicing.org